Monday, March 31, 2008

KDE Apps - Part One

This is the first of a series of articles which will introduce KDE as i see it. Now why a series of articles on KDE apps ? Because KDE is one of the sanest desktop environments i have used. And it works reasonably well on my pIII 800Mhz and my AMD Athlon XP 2800+ . No flame wars about KDE/GNOME/XFCE goodness ok ?

Well I am starting with Text editors. One of the most basic applications anyone ever wanted. Here are my picks of the lot offered by KDE.(People who swear by emacs, please forgive . I make no mention of it here )

KEdit is my fav. Its what i wished for. No bells and whistles . Clean and nice. Simple interface. Just type the text out and be done with it. The settings dialogue is also simplicity in itself. Just font ,font-color, spelling , Encoding, word wrap. thats it. Nothing else . Aah yes the most important thing, input method switching. I need to type in Malayalam also.Lets just say that if this was a windows app, then this would be the best notepad replacement.

Next up is kate . The text editor . Syntax highlighting. Multi document editing. Sessions. You know the whole works. kate was a wimpy text editor that grew up to be one of the best around. Comparable to tools like ultra edit , this is the most powerful text editor I have tried on a GNU system. Going through a feature by feature description of kate will require more time space and words. I'd say that if you wanted a feature , its most probably there in kate. Anyone editing a few C++ files or some html will be quiet comfy with kate. As a matter of fact, i just described two things i do with kate :)

That about does it. Those are two KDE apps that I use frequently , and with a lot of pleasure. Ciao next time with a post on Konqueror ( bows low in honor ).

0 comments: